Popular Types of Trees and Shrubs for Privacy
Your Guide to Creating a Private Oasis at Home
Do you ever dream of getting away from it all without actually having to leave home? By choosing the right trees and shrubs to plant around your property, you can turn your backyard into a more secluded oasis, perfect for kicking back in private after a long day. Before getting started, it’s important to first identify your goals by assessing your existing space and determining the specific areas you want to seclude. If you need help bringing your vision to life, work with our trusted landscaping design professionals who can create an outdoor living space that you will use and enjoy for years to come.
5 Types of Privacy Trees and Shrubs
Setting up your own private retreat can always be achieved by building a fence but why not get a little creative and use living trees and shrubs to screen your yard from nosy neighbours? Plus, using a living fence is a wonderful, eco-friendly alternative that will also elevate your curb appeal. Here are some examples of popular trees and shrubs you may want to consider planting for privacy:
- Eastern Red Cedars: If you want full coverage privacy, look no further than the Eastern Red Cedar tree. As a member of the evergreen family, these trees offer year-round effectiveness, making them an ideal choice for those who live in the northeast region where winters are particularly harsh. Red Cedars also repel deer and their wayward foliage provides an added layer of protection.
- Leyland or Lawson Cypress: Both the Leyland and Lawson Cypress grow very large, reaching between 40-60 feet in height and 10-20 feet in width. They are great for blocking out the view into your yard and can survive the cold weather season.
- Flowering Dogwood Trees: If you are looking for seasonal coverage with the bonus of some added colour, the Flowering Dogwood is a perfect choice. Foliage colours can range from white, pink and red and are ideal if you have a large to mid-sized yard. If you need spot coverage, these trees can help block an outsider’s view.
- Boxwood: These shrubs have been widely used as a classic formal hedge but they are also beautiful even when they are less maintained. Some species can grow up to 20 feet tall and are the perfect living wall to secure your property against prying eyes. Additionally, they are relatively low maintenance and only need occasional watering once established.
- Juniper: If you need a faster solution, Junipers are a fast-growing evergreen shrub that is also drought-tolerant. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and are especially picturesque when used as accents. These conifers prefer shaded areas and only require low to moderate watering.
Contact Us for Reliable and Affordable Landscaping and Tree Services
At Sabia Landscaping & Tree Service, we understand your desire for more privacy. That’s why we are dedicated to helping homeowners design and install privacy borders using natural elements like trees and shrubs. Our landscaping experts have extensive knowledge about the different types of trees and shrubs that will not only offer you privacy but that will also thrive in this specific region. In addition to planting trees around your yard, we also offer other tree services such as pruning and removal to preserve the beauty and health of your overall landscape.
Contact our team today to schedule your landscape design consultation. Call us at (215) 822-3886 or contact us online.