Your Local Landscaping Experts Offer Seasonal Lawn Care Tips
When intermittent rains, blowing winds and leaves-strewn roads and yards are the order of the day, you know that winter is fast approaching. It is only a matter of weeks or days before the first frost sets in and the trees become completely barren. Although your yard needs care and maintenance before the turn of every season, some tasks may be more delightful than others. For example, planting your vegetable garden or flower beds at the start of spring definitely brings more joy than raking and blowing out leaves. However, in order to ensure a lush and healthy yard, it is important to carry out certain activities prior to winter.
Top 5 Tips to Winterize Your Yard before the End of Fall
There is no doubt that the maintenance work that you undertake before winter is going to help your landscape get off to a great start in spring. Here are the top five aspects that need your attention before the end of fall:
- Clean up the Leaves: While the heaps of colorful leaves in your backyard may look messy and beautiful at the same time, it is important to keep raking and blowing them out at regular intervals. A heavy accumulation will mean more work for you when you eventually get to the task of cleaning up the leaves. Moreover, piled up leaves will block sunlight and airflow to the ground, which in turn will suffocate and spoil your turf, encourage critter and pest infestation and cause snow-mold diseases.
- Winterize Your Lawn: Before the grass and sod is covered by snow, feed your lawn with a winter fertilizer. Since it is their peak growing season, your turf grass will absorb all the nutrients and minerals that help them to deepen and strengthen their roots, and emerge stronger and thicker during spring. Additionally, you should:
- Repair the dead or bald patches with seed or sod.
- Water and mow the lawn till the end of fall. Keep the grass height at approximately 2 inches.
- Aerate and apply weed control measures, particularly for fall weeds such as crabgrass and nutsedge.
- Winterize the Vegetable and Garden Beds: Once you have harvested the last of your fruits and flowers, pull out the stubborn weeds, remove the leftover stalks and leaves, and mulch the perennial beds to protect your topsoil from the rigors of the season ahead.
- Special Care for Trees and Shrubs: Consider winter protection spray treatments (also called ‘anti desiccant’ sprays) to help your shrubs and trees sustain the harsh, cold winters and improve their long term health. Prune your vegetation to ensure that the weight of the accumulated snow does not bring down branches or cause damage to adjoining plants and property. Consider a late fall fertilization and deep watering treatment that will allow the trees to retain the necessary moisture and nutrients through the long winter months.
- Other Yard Maintenance Activities: In addition to the tree and lawn care tasks, there are several other chores that are a necessary part of the winter yard prep.
- Clean out the gutters and eaves troughs to avoid pipe bursts, clogging or frozen debris. Look for bunched up gunk, animal nests, and any gaps or leaks that make your home susceptible to water damage.
- Check your paver blocks and interlocking to ensure that the stones are laid out flat and even, and top-up the joints with polymeric sand.
Entrust Your Landscape Winterization to The Professionals
Seasonal yard work is a demanding job that requires the right knowledge, skills and tools, as well as a substantial investment of time, effort and money. Earn the bragging rights for a lush turf and healthy yard without spending hours toiling away on the numerous tasks. Entrust your landscape winterization and maintenance to the trained and experienced professionals at Sabia Landscaping & Tree Services Inc. We have been serving residents in and around Philadelphia, Bucks and Montgomery County through our comprehensive lawn care services, including mowing, fertilization and treatments, and seasonal yard and garden management.
Address all your lawn care needs through a reputed, professional lawn care company. Call Sabia Landscaping & Tree Services Inc. at (215) 822-3886 or contact us using our online form and we will be in touch with you soon.