Your Professional Landscaping and Tree Services Company Offer Fall Lawn Care Tips
As the season turns and the foliage around you sports a generous dose of red, amber and yellow, you will notice a beautiful contrast of these bright colors against your lush, green lawn. While you take in the scenic sights of fall, you may also wonder about the kind of care your yard needs at this time of the year. Although activities such as raking and mowing are at their peak in the summer months, there are some vital maintenance tasks that need to be timed through the rest of the year to ensure that your turf remains luscious and healthy year after year.
Essential Fall Lawn Care Activities
Regardless of the amount of snow you are expecting in the upcoming winter months, your lawn needs time and attention until the first frost sets in. Here are some fall essentials that need to be done if you want a gorgeous turf at the beginning of spring:
- Watering: Since the dry, hot weather is behind you, your turf may not be as thirsty as it was during the summer months, especially if your area receives plenty of rainfall during fall. However, you need to continue watering your lawn twice a week until the ground freezes. Moreover, if you have cool-season grass, this time of the year is a period of rapid growth for the new seedlings, and they need adequate water supply for proper development of the roots. For a timer-based irrigation system, set your fall watering schedule to around 4.00 a.m. for about 20 minutes, two days per week. If you rely on manual systems, use the same frequency and try to water your lawn as early as possible in the morning.
- Mowing: Continue mowing your lawn during the fall months and readjust your mower deck to ensure that the grass height is kept at approximately 2 inches. The shorter length will give the grass crown more exposure to direct sunlight, making it less likely to turn brown during winter.
- Raking and Mulching: A quintessential fall activity, raking leaves that have dropped to the ground is an important part of maintaining your yard. If you do not clear this debris regularly, the rain, morning dew and accumulated leaves will together form a coating that suffocates the grass and makes it susceptible to fungal diseases. Experts suggest mulching the fallen leaves to create a natural compost that will nourish your turf.
- Aerating, Weed Control and Fertilizing: Aerate your lawn and use fall fertilizers to allow the nutrients to penetrate deep into the root system, resulting in a thicker, greener grass next spring. Pay attention to fall weeds such as crabgrass and nutsedge and do not skimp on weed control measures.
- Seeding: Whether you are repairing dead patches, overseeding your existing turf or creating a new expanse, fall is also the best time for seeding. The cooler temperatures and higher precipitation during these months are ideal for growth and your lawn will don a plush, green coat at the end of winter.
Professional Lawn Care Services in Philadelphia
Maintaining your lawn involves year-round activities that not only demand time and effort, but also require substantial investment in the right tools, equipment, and products. From mowers, rakes, trimmers, edgers, leaf blowers, and cutting and digging tools, to soil, seeds, fertilizers, weed control sprays and related safety equipment, you may incur expenses on several lawn care essentials. Save time and money by relying on the experienced professionals at Sabia Landscaping & Tree Services Inc. We offer comprehensive lawn care services, including fertilization and treatments, seasonal mowing services, and installation, repair and maintenance of irrigation systems, as well as drainage systems. With trained and knowledgeable crew members and access to the latest products and equipment, we have been servicing residents in and around Philadelphia since several decades.
Choose an experienced and professional company for all your lawn care needs. Call Sabia Landscaping & Tree Services Inc. at (215) 822-3886 today or contact us online and we will be in touch with you soon.